Pastoral visits also include the blessing of homes and businesses. This can take place at anytime during the year, especially after the feast of Epiphany (January 6).
Before the priest arrives to bless your home, you should prepare the area of your home where you would like the service to begin such as your kitchen table or an icon corner.
The following items are helpful to have ready for the priest:
- A bowl of water (if you wish to drink and save in your home)
- A towel
- An icon
- A candle or traditional Orthodox oil lamp (filled with water and olive oil)
- Hand censer if available (with incense and charcoal which the priest will light)
- A sprig of basil (if possible but not required)
- Please turn the lights in your home on. You don’t want Father to fall down the stairs!
- P.S. Pets are never a problem for Father Jason